St. Mary's County Events
The Black Diamond Disaster: Forgotten Tragedy on the Potomac
On April 23rd 1865, The Black Diamond was struck by The Massachusetts, and she sank. Eighty-seven men were lost, but no one remembers. This event will bring this story and others of the Civil War in Southern Maryland to life, and includes special tours of the Blackistone Island Lighthouse.
Sponsor: St. Mary’s County Museum Division
Location: St. Clement’s Island Museum and St. Clement’s Island State Park
Time(s): Boats begin running to Island at 12:30; Ceremony begins at 2pm
Person: Karen Stone
Contact phone: 301-769-3235 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Website: http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/Museums/
Once the Metropolis of Maryland: Celebrating 50 Years of Archaeology at Historic St. Mary’s City Apr 19 @ 7:00 pm Meet at the Visitor Center Auditorium.
This symposium celebrates 50 years of archaeology conducted at Historic St. Mary’s City (HSMC). Presentations include Recent Research and Future Plans at the Leonard Calvert House Site, by Travis G Parno, A Retrospective Look At The Material Culture Of The Leonard Calvert Site, by Silas D. Hurry and Donald L. Winter, Exploring “Clocker’s Acre”: The Architecture of a Colonial Period Building by Ruth M Mitchell and From Bore to Bowl: An Analysis of White Clay Tobacco Pipes from the Anne Arundel Hall Replacement Project by Jessica E Edwards, Erin N Crawford. These lectures honor this rich legacy of work done over the last 50 years while also sharing recent research conducted by the staff of HSMC’s Department of Research and Collections
Sponsor: Historic St. Mary’s City
Location: St. Mary’s City
Time: 7:00 pm
Contact Person: Info@HSMCDigsHistory.org
Contact: phone: 1-800-SMC-1634 or 240-895-4990 HSMC
Free Webste: WWW.HSMCDigsHistory.org
Historic St. Mary's City Archaeological Laboratories and Curation Facility
Join HSMC Curator and Lab Director Silas Hurry and members of the St. Mary's County chapter of the Archaeological Society of Maryland in a guided tour of the newly constructed curation and study facility located in Anne Arundel Hall on the campus of St. Mary's College of Maryland.
Sponsor: St. Mary's County Archaeological Society
Location: Anne Arundel Hall South, 27407 Old State House Road, Lexington Park, MD 20653
Time(s): 6:30 pm
Contact Person: Chris Coogan